WHAT CAN I BURN?
According to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), State Law only allows you to burn natural products with a burn permit.
- Brush, Tree Limbs, Stumps
- Grass Clippings
- Recreational Fires – the location of the fire must be more than 50 feet from any structure and adequate provision must be made to prevent the fire from spreading to within 50 feet of any structure.
- Leaves* – From November 25 – October 15 between Noon and 6:00PM
*Village Ordinance Sec 30-28: No person shall burn or cause to be burned or authorize the burning of any leaves within the village of Constantine, whether on public or private premises, between October 15 and November 25 of each year. Between November 25 and October 15 of each year burning of leaves within the village will be allowed only between the hours of 12:00 noon and 6:00 p.m. Burning of leaves after 6:00 p.m. or before 12:00 noon shall be considered a violation of this article during this period of time.
WHAT CAN I NOT BURN?
- Trash or Garbage – Burning of this type is prohibited within the village – there are no exceptions.
- Tires, Shingles, Plastic, Etc. – Burning of plastic/rubber materials is not only hazardous to your health, it’s against state law.
- Building Materials – Including construction and/or demolition debris.
- Structures – Burning of ANY BUILDING, ANY SIZE is prohibited.
- Anything that is man made or processed
- Hazardous Waste – (paints, motor oil, etc.)
WHAT DO I DO WITH ITEMS I CANNOT BURN?
- Take to an appropriate landfill
HOW can I obtain A BURN PERMIT?
Constantine & Florence Townships –
Call the Fire Department at (269) 435-5325 and follow the instructions on the answering machine.
Village of Constantine Residents–
Call the Village Office at (269) 435-2085 during normal business hours Monday – Friday.